Are you going to buy the best mountain bike for you? But my question is – how much should you spend on a mountain bike? Yes, the pricing is the most crucial factor because the quality depends on it. And sometimes, it happens that you fail to pick up the right one even after spending a huge amount. That is why you have to research a lot and advance systematically to buy the right one within your budget.
Of course, a mountain bike is highly convenient for climbing up a steep hill. This one is extremely durable and has a superior performance. The frame, fork, wheels, gears, brakes, and the other parts are selected with special attention. But it does not mean that all of them contain quality parts. To get a suitable bike with quality parts, you have to spend a particular amount. Otherwise, all your efforts may go in vain.
Fortunately, there is nothing to worry about at all. Today, we have come with the perfect solution for you. This blog post will tell you about the budget you should spend to own a quality mountain bike. Let’s go through the following passages:
What is a Mountain Bike?
A mountain bike refers to a bicycle that is specially made for off-road cycling. If you compare it with other bikes, you will get some similarities. As you need to go through rough terrain while cycling on mountains, the manufacturers pay special attention to the performance and durability to construct it. That is why they include straight handlebars, more powerful brakes, more durable wheels, large knobby tires, a suspension fork, rear suspension, lower gear-ratios for climbing steep roads, etc.
The bikers use mountain bikes for unpaved surfaces, fire roads, single track, and mountain trails. If you are one of them, we request you to buy one of the best mountain bikes. Otherwise, it may be a mere wastage of money.
How much should you spend on a mountain bike?
Many of you repeatedly ask – how much is a bike? Surprisingly, you will get mountain bikes from $100 to $2000 or even more according to the quality and performance. But the cycle will not be up to the mark if you spend around $100, I guarantee. These types of bikes are not made with genuine parts.
For example, the frame will be made of low quality steel instead of high-quality lightweight aluminum. On the one hand, it will be heavier, and on the other hand, weaker. Certainly, there is a possibility to break down soon if you use it frequently on rough terrain. So we always recommend our customers spend a little more money to pick up a high-quality one.
Honestly, we have researched a lot and finally conclude that the best beginner mountain bike with more than $450 can be a perfect one for you. Though it seems costly, you will get peace of mind to enjoy the performance. And the bike will be extremely durable and will not break down even if you go through rough terrain repeatedly.
Besides, an expensive specialized mountain bike is lightweight. That is why you need not carry any extra burden during a ride and can climb a steep hill with ease! When you spend more than $1000, you must enjoy something unusual, such as an extremely lightweight frame with smooth gearing, high-quality pedals, easy to move wheels, a comfortable seat, and the like. It doesn’t mean that you will not get the best mountain bike brands under $1000. They also belong to the high class. For this reason, we always suggest our customers buy one between $500 to $1000.
Read More About Dangerous Mountain Bike Riding Safety Tips.
What to Look for in a Mountain Bike
Many bikers search for the best mountain bikes for the money. Generally, these bikes have high-performance and durability but a moderate price. Those who have already used mountain bikes – must appreciate my thought. Fortunately, you can check Trek mountain bikes if you want to get this type. On the other hand, Giant mountain bikes are also acceptable. However, before buying one, you should know what to look for in a mountain bike. Let’s check:
- Suspension: As the route is uneven, the front suspension is essential while climbing a hill. That is why the manufacturers include a hardtail design with the front fork. Generally, the front fork with 80 mm to 120 mm suspension is the ideal one for traveling. It’s lighter, adjustable, and shock absorbing and lets you go through a rough terrain smoothly with high-class control. You have to spend a bit more if you want this quality feature.
If you want to buy one of the cheapest mountain bikes, you have to sacrifice the quality. Here, I want to remind you that this kind of bike contains a heavy, noisy, notchy, and harsh fork without any suspension that must destroy the peace of riding.
- Frame: Firstly, I want to talk about the frame size. Many bikes come in 3 different sizes, such as small, medium, and large. You have to pick up the right one based on your height. Here, the price varies according to size. Remember, if you fail to determine the right size, your riding will lose the riding pleasure.
Secondly, consider the construction materials used for constructing the frame. A cheap bike includes a frame made with low-quality steel. This one is heavier, and you have to carry the extra burden during the ride. Besides, the frame is less strong, and there is a possibility of breaking down while riding on an uneven surface.
That is why you should spend more money to get a strong frame made with lightweight aluminum. Frankly, you have to pay around $1000 or more to get a bike with a high-class frame.
- Wheel: Wheels are important that ensure smooth riding. Naturally, inexpensive wheel rims are made of low-quality material. As a result, they can break down easily while getting bumps frequently. And of course, stains grab quickly when you ride the bike under wet weather.
But if you select one within our recommended price, you will certainly get good quality rims made of stainless steel or alloy aluminum. They are lightweight and easily movable. Apart from that, they can cope with adverse road conditions. An expensive bike contains excellent quality tires though you can change them whenever you want. But you should not spend more on this purpose as you have options.
Wheel size is also vital. At the very beginning, the manufacturers included 26 inches wheels with 2.0-2.5 inches diameter tires with the mountain bikes. Later, it was modified into 29 inches. They are strong and easily cope with rough surfaces. Therefore, you will experience fewer bumps during the sessions. But as they are heavier, the companies have invented 27.5 inches wheels. You will get both 29 and 27.5 inches on the market. But most of the expensive bikes include 27.5 inches that are standard and easy to move.
- Gears: Gears are vital to enhancing speed, especially when you climb up a steep hill. Many bikes include a seven-speed cassette, but you will get 8, 9, or even 10-speed ones out there according to the price. A quality mountain bike has Shimano Gears, but it doesn’t mean that other brands are less effective. Nevertheless, to me, the Shimano ones are the best.
- Brakes: As brakes ensure safety, you must buy one with high-quality brake sets. Usually, the quality depends on the price. A bike with normal brake sets costs less, but you have to spend more on car-style disc brakes. Also, you will get one with hydraulic disc brakes. This brake system is the standard one. It puts less pressure on the forks and ensures high safety. Fortunately, you can get it within our recommended price range.
Buying a perfect mountain bike is not that easy. Unfortunately, spending a vast amount will not help you get the best one, always. In this regard, you need to be practical. There are bikes within $1500 to $2000 or even more. But who can say you will be satisfied with their performance? That is why you should buy a perfect one at our recommended price. Honestly, it will make you happy with the performance.